Arizona has been having some beautiful spring weather. It’s finally time to open your doors and windows and enjoy this wonderful time of year. With nice weather, however, brings the daunting task of spring cleaning.
Unfortunately, the majority of store bought cleaning supplies contain harmful chemicals which are dangerous to handle and inhale. Consider going green this spring by using all natural cleaning products that you can make at home. Here are some helpful tips to get you started.
- Vinegar is a great natural cleaning agent. Just simply combine one part vinegar to 3 parts water. Because vinegar doesn’t produce a very nice smell, you can add a few drops of lemon or lavender oil to the mix to dilute it. This solution works great on floors and glass windows. Make sure to use white vinegar so there is no accidental staining.
- Baking soda is also an effective natural household cleaning item. Most importantly, it is incredibly versatile. You can use baking soda to clean counter surfaces (when mixed with liquid soap), to clean inside the microwave (when mixed with water), and even to unclog a drain (when mixed with vinegar). For tough surfaces, sprinkle baking soda directly on the problem area and use a towel to scrub.
- Essential oils are eco-friendly and work great as removing agents. Use a little bit of lemon oil (or your favorite kind of essential oil) to remove marker, stickers, or waxy crayons from just about any surface. Only a small amount is needed to complete the task.
It is also important to consider the type of materials you are using to clean. Take a look around your home to see if you can begin using these items.
- Use cloth towels as opposed to disposable paper towels. By throwing away less waste, you are being kinder to the environment. Plus, cloth towels are much more durable than paper. (Alternatively, you can recycle old t-shirts to use as towels or rags).
- Old toothbrushes work perfectly to scrub away tough spots. The small size of the brush works perfectly for grout or small grease stains.
The best part of making your own non-toxic cleaners is that you can find all of these items in your own home. Going green has never been easier. Enjoy this beautiful weather and happy spring cleaning from ELA!
Contact ELA Home Repairs with all of your installation or repair needs at 800-368-PROS (7767).