The holiday season is just beginning, and whether you’re hosting family parties or are busy with other holiday festivities, it is easy to let everyday home maintenance slide by. Completing simple upkeep tasks may save you from having to replace your entire appliance. Here is a household maintenance to-do list so you don’t fall behind:
For the Kitchen
- Change the water filter in your refrigerator. This should take place every three to six months.
- Make sure your oven door properly closes. If it doesn’t have a proper seal, heat could be escaping and wasting energy. It can also prevent your food from cooking evenly.
- Clean the inside of your microwave. Food particles on the inside of the microwave can lead to electrical damage. Soap and water will do the trick. You may even microwave a glass bowl of water to create steam inside so it’s easier to clean the tough spots.
- Clean and deodorize your dishwasher. Regularly wipe down the inside of the dishwasher to remove food particles and prevent the growth of mold. Also make sure to clean the filter.
For the Bathroom
- Make sure there are no signs of leaking around the toilet or bathtub. If there are signs of water damage it is time to reseal them with caulk.
- Check underneath the sink for leaks in the faucet. A leaky faucet is more apparent above the cabinet. Letting a leak go unnoticed underneath could cause foundation damage.
- Clean out your dryer’s lint trap. This is such an easy task but so easy to let it go unnoticed. The build-up of lint makes the dryer work harder and use up more energy.
- Clean or replace your AC filter. This helps improve the air you breathe and improve your home’s energy efficiency.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke alarm. If you are doing a lot of cooking this is especially important. The alarm will normally beep to alert you that they need to be replaced, but there is no harm in double-checking.
By following these quick tips, you will avoid appliance mishaps, especially during this busy time of the year. If you need any additional assistance, make sure you are consulting a licensed contractor.
Contact ELA Home Repairs for your installation or repair needs at 800-368- PROS (7767).