When Should You Get Your Electrical Panel Checked?

Know when should you get your electrical panel checked and what are the signs for checkups

Preventative maintenance on your electrical panel should be done at least every three years. As a responsible homeowner, you should know the location of your main shut off breaker.

Here are some common signs that you need to get your electrical panel checked:

A circuit breaker “trips” to cut off electrical flow and prevent overheating. This can be caused by an overloaded circuit, short circuit, or ground fault. Read more

If you find water dripping around your panel, DO NOT touch the panel to avoid getting an electric shock. A rusty panel is also an indicator that water/moisture has been in contact with the panel.If you find water dripping around your panel, DO NOT touch the panel to avoid getting an electric shock. A rusty panel is also an indicator that water/moisture has been in contact with the panel.

If there are signs of burned or overheated components in the panel, you should call a qualified electrician. Overheated components might cause electrical fire, so it is important to find out the root cause of the electrical failure.If there are signs of burned or overheated components in the panel, you should call a qualified electrician. Overheated components might cause electrical fire, so it is important to find out the root cause of the electrical failure.

When your lights flicker or spark, you should seek a professional electrician as soon as possible because these are signs of severe damage to the electrical system.

When your lights flicker or spark, you should seek a professional electrician as soon as possible because these are signs of severe damage to the electrical system.

Turn off power immediately if you smell burning plastic in your house. This is probably caused by damaged wires in the wall.Turn off power immediately if you smell burning plastic in your house. This is probably caused by damaged wires in the wall.

A damaged or frayed wire should not be used because it can be a fire hazard to your home.A damaged or frayed wire should not be used because it can be a fire hazard to your home.

An outlet/plate should never become hot to touch, including when something that is plugged in. This is a serious sign of faulty wiring and should be consulted by an electrician.An outlet/plate should never become hot to touch, including when something that is plugged in. This is a serious sign of faulty wiring and should be consulted by an electrician.

ELA Home Repairs provides free referrals to a licensed, bonded, and insured contractor for homeowners. If you need an electrician, call us at 1800-368-PROS or visit our website www.elahomerepairs.org .

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s