Electric Vehicles (EVs) are becoming more commonplace in Phoenix. If you own an EV, you might have considered getting a home charging station a.k.a. Electric Vehicle Service Equipment (EVSE) since 95% of EV charging is done at home. Though marketers have outlined many benefits of special EV chargers for your home, you should focus on meeting your real needs. For instances, consider your overall commute distance, driving range, driving routine, available charging station locations, and if the charger equipment will add real value to your property resale price.
There are 4 levels of chargers,
- Level 1: 120-volt power source
– Uses a standard household outlet
– Slow charging time depending on the make and model of the car.
- Level 2: 240-volt power source
– Professional installation needed
– Charger unit might cost from $300-$1200
– Faster charging time, so it is better for people with less time
- Level 3/4: public charging facility
– Costs tens of thousands of dollars for the equipment, making it unsuitable for home charging.
– Charging too frequently with these units will deteriorate your battery faster due to the higher voltage.
Consumer Report created a chart based on your commute routine to determine if you need a Level 2 charger at home. Read more here: www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/whats-the-right-electric-car-charger-for-your-home.
Generally speaking, you should only invest in a Level 2 EVSE if you meet two or more of the following,
- Commute more than 30 miles each way
- No charger at work
- Does not spend a lot time at home to charge enough distance to work
- Does not have a lot of charging stations around where you work, shop, or live
- You live in a pretty nice neighborhood (so your EVSE investment will increase your home resale value directly)
Your local utility service might have a special EV home charging program that can lower your bill. So, don’t be shy and call your local utility service to ask about it!
Contact ELA Home Repairs for all your home energy and electrical needs at 1800-368-PROS (7767).